Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Happy New Year

'Gelukkig Nieuwjaar' as we say in The Netherlands.

A difficult week started at City. The gaffer's goatee was bristling more than usual, I can tell you. I had never heard of Richard Dunne until I came to England, but he does seem an impressive player. Still, I've said that about many of the centre-halves I've come up against since moving here: I am constantly surprised by the quality of defending in the Premier League! I got the better of him once, though, and my brave header was only stopped by a world class save. When someone told me the goalkeeper spent most of last year playing in League One, I couldn't believe it!

I was hoping the new year would start better. This season has felt like I've been running to stand still and no amount of applauding all four stands at Anfield each week can cover up for the fact that I'm having a bad time of it.

It was good of the gaffer to rest me against Wigan so that I'd be at my sharpest for the big game against Luton Town. On Sunday at least three stands at Kenilworth Road were cheering me as I left the pitch. They clearly appreciated the honest effort and application I showed out there. I got into the penalty area a couple of times; I didn't have the ball at the time but the gaffer's always pleased if you get into the right areas. He's such a great manager. Harry and I often talk of his loyalty to the top players. It really is admirable.

Tot de volgende keer

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you think you had a bad week, Red18, spare a thought for Big Smack who has just been made redundant by Newkie Pork Pie Express after just 24 board meetings in charge. I feel Newkie's rebuffed hostile take-over attempt of that small Stoke-based company was the final straw for the shareholders; after they finally managed to remove their brown ale bottles from the backs of their throats.

Such a shame after Big Smack promised to return Newkie to it's cultural and fashion zenith. Yes, I'm sure the "all covering belt only" look is soon to return to every high street where it's ****ing cold.