Monday, January 21, 2008

There is just one big mast on a ship

"er is maar een grote mast op een schip," as we say in The Netherlands.

It's difficult to know what to make of these Americans. I've only met them once, early in the season after the Birmingham game, when the little one asked me for directions. He asked me if I knew where the goal was, which I thought was very strange. I said, "it's right over there and there's one at the other end too." He nodded: "just checking." Clearly, they still have a lot to learn about "soccer".

The big one seems like the one in charge. The gaffer doesn't like us talking about either of them, but he really doesn't like the big one. The new lad, Skrtel, got 15 laps at his first training session for asking Sami what Rafa's problem was with "long kicks"! I think the pressure might be affecting the gaffer's hearing.

Of course, it could all change next week. The little one seems to like the big one even less than he likes the gaffer. As for me, we'll see if I'm in the team tonight. All I can do is work hard, applaud each stand at Anfield harder than ever and hope for a break.



Tot de volgende keer

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Red18, I'm a long time fan, first time poster. I just want to say what a disappointment last night's game was against Villa and how incredulous I was that you didn't score a goal. With all that running about I was sure you'd eventually run into the goal.

What this club really needs is a goal scorer of dedication and focus. I mean, how many strikers can you think of across the world with the awareness to be able to applaud all four stands - not a single one missed out and no repetition! Some say it's the ability to score 20, 25, 30 goals a season, but really it's ensuring that every fan behind the goal gets a match day ball! Now that's building fan rapport.

ScouseMouse

Red18 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red18 said...

Het hallo!

Thank you for your comments, ScouseMouse.

I couldn't agree more. It's not just the applauding though. There's real technique to it - the slight tilt of the head and looking up to the fans is a display of humility; the time you spend applauding each stand has to be carefully measured. I'm thinking of releasing a DVD so then you can practice at home and perfect your own tribute to the fans.

Tot de volgende keer