Friday, February 1, 2008

The best helmsmen stand on the shore

"De beste stuurlui staan aan wal," as we say in The Netherlands
.
Isn't it strange the way match-reports highlight the incidents that fit the story the reporter wants to tell? All the papers wanted to talk about was Liverpool in crisis, so that’s how they portrayed the match, yet playing against West Ham on Wednesday, it didn't ever feel like we would lose.

West Ham didn't create much: people talk about Boa Morte's chances, but Fernando, Yossi, Harry and Lucas - twice -could all have taken their chances. And no one blames Carra; it was just one of those things.

You'll notice my name is missing from that list. Well...thank you for all your emails of support, but I'm not so sure that not being mentioned at all in any of newspaper reviews is a step in the right direction.

I had hoped that this game might be a turning point in the season for me. If you remember this fixture last season, I scored probably my best goal for Liverpool. (Between you and me, I was trying to flick the ball wide to Stevie F with the outside of my boot, but caught it on the full and it flew into the top corner!) It was a stroke of good fortune and probably did more to endear me to the fans than all the applauding I've done before or since...

...

...

...That's it. I've got it. I know how to re-capture the hearts of the Liverpool faithful....


Tot de volgende keer

No comments: